Monday, August 16, 2010

There is no vacuum...

Editor's note: This blog is done by the future daddy to be, Mike. This is a break from your normal well written nice attitude blogger, Amy. Let us begin...

With the gamble that this will sound like the beginning of an AA meeting here we go; Hi, my name is Mike. (hi mike!) I am a Troyaholic. It's been almost exactly 13 years to the day that I became a fan of the greatest university in the world, Troy (State) University.

I know, I know, that is a HUGE shock to those that know me or know me through my lovely wife Amy. If you really know us, then you have seen Troyville (the basement), perused the website I own (www.GoTroyTrojans.com) and maybe even know that our future son (December, holy cow!) will be named Troy Michael Cunningham. I wanted to write this blog to introduce everyone to why he will be named Troy, as I assume most of you think we're doing it because I went to school there and come hell or highwater, my son will be named after my alma mater because our football team is better then yours! You couldn't be further from the truth.

You see, life is not a vacuum. We are all influenced in some form of fashion by those we interact with and with those we observe. Even the most independent of us have been manipulated by those that partake in our life. Some of us had tremendously great parents who helped nurture us, supported us, and generally showed us that we were great and that we could do anything. Through their teachings, lessons, and example, we were molded into the great and wonderful people that we are today.

Others of us had some life changing experience that showed us that we were strong, influential, and maybe even intelligent. From a near death experience to a volunteer adventure, these different happenings can really set us on our path. No matter where that path leads us or will lead us.

For me, my thing was college. It all started because I was in college in the first place! My family had no previous college experience and I was the first to go. That in and of itself was a major accomplishment in my life. But that was only the beginning, because as you see, the college I attended changed me and made me in ways that I never thought it would. In fact, I fought the mold my college life was putting me and yet it won. Thank God.

My college, TROY University, surrounded me with people that genuinly loved me and more importantly they showed me someone who truthfully loved me; God. While I didn't know it at the time, people such as Melissa Daily, Courtney Culbertson and Bob Lambert where encouraging me to go to church, explore my faith and learn what The Good News is. I resisted. Trust me, I resisted. Yet they persisted. Not in an overbearing way, but in a loving friendly Godly way. And while these three Trojans were the leaders in sculpting my faith, there are so many others who were just as influential. I couldn't even begin to name them all.

So, why am I naming my first born TROY? It's not because our football team is awesome. It's not because my degree is from there. And it's not because I started my track and field career there. I'm naming my son Troy to thank all the people who had influence over me during my time there. From those that I remain in contact with today, to those that I touch base with once very year or two, and even to those nameless that I only remember the example that they set. It's because TROY University made me who I am today. It helped make me a Believer and I can never thank the people who made TROY what it was to me enough.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mike! :)
    This post was awesome. Thank you for writing. You are just as eloquent as your lovely wife! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Eufaula Cunningham is off the table completely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, that is really touching. You have grown into a good man. You really seem to have a lovely family and I can see your a good dad. For what it's worth, I'm really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete