Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Happiest Baby

So at least a month ago now, I read a book called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block". When I checked it out at the library, the older librarian lady chuckled at the title. I asked her what she thought was funny and she just said, "Honey, some babies are happy, and some aren't. You can't do anything about it if yours isn't." So then I responded, "Should I not check out this book then?" And she got really quiet while she finished checking me out :)

I read the book over the course of a week or so, and decided there were a few good takeaways from it that I wanted Mike to read. Then I remembered one of my friends told me awhile back there was a short DVD of the same title that she watched with her husband after reading the book (thanks, Emily!) so I got in the queue for that at the library (have I mentioned how great our libraries are here in town?!)

Mike and I watched the video last month to learn about the five "S's" of calming a baby, and then we when we went to Newborn Care Class at our hospital this week, we had the pleasure of watching a good chunk of it again. The doctor that wrote it talks a lot about the "fourth trimester", which is the first three months of a baby's life, when you really can't spoil them in any way, since physiologically they are still like a fetus that needs to have all their physical and emotional needs met by their parents. Then he goes throught he five "S's", which are swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging and sucking. We'll see how this actually works in practice in a little less than three months, but Mike is already sold on this doctor's "dudu" swaddle wrap :)

Other than that, Newborn Care Class was rather uneventful. Thank you to our teacher nurse for running through a powerpoint of every bizarre skin condition our child could be born with, and for showing us what newborns "really" look like in their first days (no gerber babies here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment