Tuesday, November 26, 2013

This is why I'm thankful...

I recently had the opportunity to write an article for chambanamoms.com on why I'm thankful this Thanksgiving. I thought it was appropriate to share here too :) 

I'm thankful for my son, while he has had some rough days adjusting to our new rhythm of life, its incredible how much he's able to do as a two year old. A few moments ago I was feeding the baby and he got me a pillow, let out the dog and went back to playing with trucks under his train table. Love him. I'm thankful for his brilliant imagination, as I sit here just listening to the scenario he's worked up in playing right now.

I'm thankful I'm getting to know my daughter. I'm thankful that I learned that right after I feed her she will happily swing for about 20 minutes (usually). Perfect time for me to eat or give my son closer to 100% of my attention than he’s normally getting these days. I've already learned I can't rush her and if she wants to take 60 minutes to eat, I best just let her go and she'll be a happier baby at the end of it versus me rushing her through. So much of her personality is already shining through. I’m thankful she’s here as a part of our family.

I'm thankful for my husband. I'm thankful that even though bedtime was my "thing" since we became parents almost three years ago, now he and our son have their own little routine and I usually hear them laughing together upstairs during that time. I'm thankful that when he comes home he takes the lead with our son and I don't have to worry about how I'm going to handle a toddler potty trip while nursing.

I'm thankful for my mom. I'm thankful that even though she's already spent a week taking care of all of us, she's offered to come back again to help out while my husband is traveling. I'm thankful that she can come into my home and just pick up on routine and it just feels natural. Moms are amazing, particularly mine (not that I’m biased at all).

I'm thankful for meal trains. I'm thankful that I haven't had to worry about what my family is going to eat for the last three weeks (and still going!). I'm thankful that people keep sending me things with vegetables in them so that I don't feel guilty when we’re eating cookies for breakfast.

More importantly, I'm thankful for what the meal train represents. I'm thankful for the community of friends and family who have surrounded us during this transition, making it as easy as possible for us. I'm thankful for the people thinking of us that just drop by with a plate of cookies or text asking if they can pick up my son for a couple hours that day or come hold the baby for a little bit.

I'm thankful for lactation consultants (and La Leche League leaders... and a doula... and friends). Breastfeeding is always hard in the beginning but this has been HARD. I'm thankful that there's a support net around me to help troubleshoot, reassure me and support me in whatever I decide. We are so fortunate to live in a community that has such fabulous resources!


I’m thankful for an amazing church family who jumps at the opportunity to pray our family through our day-to-day hiccups. Whether it’s a failed newborn hearing screening or a particularly stressful day full of toddler meltdowns, they’re always there to encourage me and my family and love on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment