Wednesday, December 23, 2015

First Ever Cookie Decorating Party

Cookie decorating has been something I've enjoyed doing with Troy (and now, this year, Cassidy!) every year since he was 2 yrs old. (See 2012, 2013, 2014 here.) Last year I had the idea to host a cookie decorating party before Christmas, but being in a house that was *supposed* to be show ready at a moment's notice, cookie party didn't end up happening. This year it was definitely going down!

I was on the fence whether or not to do it when I found pre-cut sugar cookies ready to bake in boxes at GFS Marketplace. Sold. The rolling out/baking/cutting was the part I was least looking forward to so I was super glad to have that done. We baked the cookies a day in advance. I got out all the sprinkles and supplies the night before after the kids were in bed. Keeping them OUT of them was a chore. I mixed up all the icing the morning of.

I did some royal icing you could spread, but really didn't like it very much. Some of the kids used it (mostly because they wanted pink and the red looked like pink here). What was the REAL hit was the icing I put in squirt bottles (like for ketchup). This was the recipe I used (and multiplied several times over for the different colors). This filled a bottle, I think. I like using the wilton food coloring because the color is richer than the ones that you get at the regular grocery store.
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring extract
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons milk or water
Food coloring, optional

I set it up as a "cookie decorating open house" and invited several friends and neighbors. Shortly after our start time, the first friends arrived! And my kids happily sat down to decorate with them, as I didn't let them get started until friends came :)

Toppings were set out in muffin trays with liners. There were also a number of sprinkle shakers. I made three muffins pans full of toppings so i could swap them out as new kids came and the previous one was picked over.


A larger wave of kids arrived about an hour into the party. Troy was already done decorating, went upstairs with a friend, and came back down to about 15 new people in his house, lol.

Many of the kids just wanted to play. Fine by us!

Moms were able to hang out in the kitchen and chat once the decorators fled the kitchen!

A collection of Troy and Cassidy's masterpieces below.

I let Troy do two more cookies after everyone left and Cassidy went to her room for some quiet time. He was so happy!

I was really unsure as to how many cookies to make for our group to decorate. In the end, we had 18 kids here total (three of them didn't decorate though). So 15 decorators. And we went through about 60-65 cookies. Really about 3-5 cookies would have been enough for each kid. I WAY overprepared but I really had no idea what to expect. Thus, I jot this down for next year! We also went through TONS of powdered sugar. I was glad I picked up two extra bags because we used all of my original bag and more. It was a LOT of sugar!

Can't wait to do this again next year. It was a BLAST! I am so thankful to be in a home where hosting people for things like this is so simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment