Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Making a Cake... that breathes fire

We settled on a dragon cake for Troy's birthday. Because Mike will surely want to document this, Troy had been talking about a dragon cake for months. Then he started asking for a Vanilla Ice Project cake (the home renovation show Vanilla Ice does thats on Netflix. Troy loves it.) Let me tell you. I have no idea how to construct a Vanilla Ice Project cake for a five year old. So I did what any good 21st century mom would do, pulled up Pinterest, typed in dragon cake and showed my son the many possibilities if we went the dragon cake route. And done.

I started with a simple bundt cake. And I just have to say, look at that beautiful cake that slid out of the pan perfectly!?


Then I sculpted it into a "dragon"esque shape. I had some inspiration on this part from Pinterest ;)

Then I piped him with buttercream. This was the first time I piped a whole cake on my own. Schwoo! Candy melt "spikes" and eyes, chocolate chips for a nose and eyes, tic tacs for toes and fruit roll ups with bamboo sticks for wings.

Five candles stuck in his mouth to breathe fire and we were in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment